Tuesday, March 16, 2010

On Nick (1/2 of my best friend)

Did the title make you wonder? Most people look at me funny when I say that Nick is half of my best friend.  But you see, I had the foresight to set my two best friends up on a date about 3 years ago. And now, in September, they are getting married. So, Nick really is half of my best friend. Let me tell you now, not the better half. ;)


Meet Nick (and Amy) in one of the lovely engagement pictures that their best friend took!

It was hard for me to decide whether to introduce you to Nick or Amy today. But then I remembered this crazy story and decided Nick was up first.

Let me preface this story by telling you that Nick lived in the same town that we live in. Amy lives 4 hours south of here. Since the end of last summer, they have both lived 4 hours south of me. I was used to Amy living far away, but I was used to Nick being around all the time.

At some point in the early fall of 2009, I began coming to terms with the fact that Nick was moving away. But for about a year previous, I knew he was moving. And coming to terms with his leaving was a very hard thing for me.

Some time in January of 2009, our furnace died. I was freezing, but the silly thing was running. Come to find out, it was just blowing room temperature air. Not good in a week when the projected low was -15.

I was bleaching the bathtub when Micah and I made this realization. I called Nick, because I always call Nick when stuff breaks. He's a pretty handy guy. He was on his way over and I was cleaning the bathroom when the following conversation occurred.

Micah: Are the bleach fumes getting to you?

Me: (uncontrollable bawling while sitting on the side of the tub)

Micah: Honey, what is going on? We'll get a new furnace, don't worry.

Me: Who will I call the next time it dies? Or when my car makes a funny noise? Or if the washer explodes again?

Micah: (staring at me in disbelief)

The thing about Nick is he's that rare combination of person who needs mothered but also knows how to take care of other people. When he was still here, I brought him lunch during my lunch break at work. I listened to his girl problems and helped him work things out. He was the first person I called when all hell broke loose or when Micah was being extra annoying. He is that rare person I can tell anything.

He loves NASCAR and is almost unbearable in his obsession with Dale. He has one drink and gets goofy. He flips out when Jay has seizures. He calls me cheap and Jewish just so I'll tell him to shut up. He fixes my car. He yells at me for not rotating my tires or having half a tank of gas. He calls the baby Bean.

Nick is the best friend a girl could ever ask for (or at least 1/2 of one.)

1 comment:

  1. Rachel:

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment...it meant so much to read the encouraging words and it put a smile on my face...even when I thought I had nothing to smile about!

    I'm following your blog and I can't wait to catch up on your blog and get to know you better....Jay is a doll!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete