Tuesday, February 23, 2010

On How I Met Your Father

I thought it might be fun if every Tuesday I introduced to you someone in my life. I don't know why I thought that would be fun, but I'm willing to give it a shot and see if anyone else is interested in the menagerie of characters that live in my world. I decided to start with my beloved husband, Micah.



Micah and I were introduced by a mutual friend about 6 years ago (it may have been 7) and we had no interest in dating one another at the time. I'm going to come clean here, for you my dear blog readers. Micah had no interest in dating me. I was planning the names of our future children after the first time I met him, but he still doesn't know that and since I don't let him read my blog, he never will.

Three years later, I ran into him in Wal-mart and he was all chatty and said he needed my number again, as he had a new phone. I will once again be honest with you and say that as I stood in the self check-out I had no idea who he was. He looked familiar and I knew that I knew him, but it took me a good ten minutes into the car ride home to remember exactly who he was. At that point, I didn't care. I had been in a relationship for almost a year and was pretty happy with the status quo of my life.

Micah decided to look me up on Yahoo Messenger and began talking to me while I was at work. After a week or two, he invited himself to see Spiderman 3 (or was it 2?) with my son, godson and me. I thought it was just a friend thing, I mean I was dragging two little boys around with me.

Little did I know that 14 hours after that first date began, I would still be sitting on my front porch talking to Micah.

Micah has been such an incredible addition to our lives that sometimes it's hard for me to remember what life was like before him. If you knew us each individually, you probably wouldn't think we were a perfect match. Micah is very conservative and in his words, I'm a "damn hippy." We are opposite in so many ways that on paper we would never work, but in real life he is the rock that keeps me grounded. He is the Greg to my Dharma.

Micah is such a nice guy, probably the nicest person I know. I am not. He is caring while I am compassionate. I'm religious but he is the one who saved himself for marriage because of a promise he made to God.

He is an amazing bass player. I'm his groupie. We argue and we disagree, but at the end of the day we always come to an agreement. He loves my son and he is the best dad I could have ever given Jay. I fell in love with him the first time I heard him play, I'm still not sure why he fell in love with me. But I'm grateful every day that he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment